Pages

Friday, April 23, 2010

Fat Girl Politics



A bunch of you have been asking what all the Twitter fuss was about. Honestly, the argument is a little silly. The gist of the matter is that some people are insulted that they weren't invited to an uber-publicized blogger conference. Some people took it personally enough to get a little nasty about it via Twitter. So some other tweeps got a little nasty back. Pretty entertaining stuff. Or I'm just easily amused. Whatever.

There are some interesting underlying issues though. Consider this--for a community that's supposed to be about acceptance and openness, it is somewhat surprising (well...not really, I guess) to see a conference that is essentially an exclusive event be publicized so heavily. After all, many plus size girls tend to feel left out already--and they think they've found a safe, accepting, and nonjudgmental haven in the fatshion community. Then, they find out they haven't really--there's still hierarchy, drama, judgment & politics. 

The general consensus (of non-attendees) seems to be that the planner(s) shouldn't have publicized the event so heavily if it's a closed, private party. Why get everyone excited about an event that they aren't really invited to? Yes, there's a meet and greet and you'd like your readers to come, but don't you also understand that the people most willing to come to that meet and greet are the ones you've just left out and insulted by essentially deeming them unworthy of being actual participants? And anyway, asking people to come to NY from all over for a 3 hour meet and greet during a weekend-long event is a lot like asking someone out to dinner but shooing them away after they've had the complimentary rolls.

On the other hand, I am also not a fan of the things some people are doing in response--more accurately, the reason why they are doing what they are. A bunch of people have contacted me about hosting or planning a get-together as a "take THAT!" to not being invited to the conference. To be quite clear, this is not everyone. There are some people who do it with thought and good reason (like some of the west coast & UK bloggers--i <3 you guys!), but there are also those who...wait, what's that? Really? You want me to join yours because I wasn't invited to the other one? Please. Not a good enough reason. Many of the emails I received from people didn't say anything about actually wanting to meet me. Nope. It was all about the "Let's meet because apparently we aren't good enough to be invited to the other blogger conference." Oh. Gee, thanks??? While all the ladies I received emails from are amazing people and fabulous bloggers that I would love to meet, I just can't get behind the reason.

Personally, I don't mind that I'm not included in the big conference. If I were going to be in NYC the day of the meet & greet, I'd probably stop by and say hi. I'm not about to go out of my way, but it'd be cool to meet the girls there.

Really, it's just a bunch of women who are fat and who like fashion hanging out together. Do they have to include you simply because you're fat and fashionable? I don't think so. Should they have paraded it around in your face? Probably not, but it's done now. If you want to plan something of your own, by all means, do so! But do it because you're genuinely interested in the people you're meeting, not to make yourself feel better.

Anyway, the girl spent what, 6 months putting this all together? Someone give her a little credit. There's only so much one person can do.

Oh well, this is all just my opinion. What do you guys think? 

Yours, Etc.
CurvyGirlChic

P.S. I totally feel like I'm going to get slaughtered for writing this post.! lolol I'm also wondering how many people are going to stop following me for being so controversial in a post. My guess is 10. The bf is betting on more.

P.P.S. Writing these content-heavy posts is tiring. I soooo don't plan on doing it often, lol. Pictures, anyone? haha

Just for fun--the scene from Mean Girls that came to mind during this entertaining little Twitter distraction. hehe:


No comments:

Post a Comment